Do you remember being in high school and having to carry around a bag of flour to teach you how to care for something and how to be responsibility for a baby? Well, about a week ago something similar happened here in the Catered Fit offices. We all got desk plants and with the desk plants came great responsibility.
Let me backup a bit. It all started (as many things do) when our CEO, Adam Friden, decided that the offices needed more “life”. Not for aesthetic purposes, though the greenery is beautiful, but for the air purifying benefits. That was all we needed to hear before we threw ourselves full force into stocking up on plants, purchasing one for every desk in our office. This is where it got interesting, we picked a diverse collection of plants, all with different purposes and personalities and we let each employee pick their own plant.
Now, back to the high-school reference! Since we handed out these plants, they have gotten names, been repotted, even given seats in meetings! Our employees LOVE them… while we care for them and tend to them, our plants are all returning the love by working hard to purify the air around us.
Here are our top five reasons for plants in the office:
- They are air purifiers: They have the ability to cleanse the air from toxic chemicals such as formaldehyde and benzene which are usually found in paint, cigarettes, vinyl and solvents. They can also raise the air’s humidity by releasing water as moisture vapor – this can protect us from getting respiratory problems, dry coughs and sore throats.
- They are stress reducing: Putting plants near or around your desk at work has been found to reduce stress. the mere presence of plants and foliage can lower the prevailing stress levels and increase the rate of recovery from bouts of anxiety.
- They add color and texture: We can’t imagine a better way to create a natural and welcoming environment. Plants add color and vibrancy and can soften sterile feeling work environments, appealing to clients and employees alike!
- They drive creative thought process: There have been numerous studies that have explored the influence of plants on creative thought process. One study found that the increase of greenery into the office can increase creativity by an estimated 15%.
- They improve well being: We know from experience that office moral has gone up since everyone got their plants! The presence of plants contributes to the general feeling of well being, making people more happy and optimistic about life.
Our top five best office plants:
- Spider Plant
- Aloe Vera
- Snake Plant
- Peace Lily