Setting health goals for the holiday season is easy. Sticking to them, well, we all know how that goes. Temptation is real, and let’s be honest, you’ll probably cave at some point. There are traditions buried in the food that you and your family prepare and there’s so much joy at holiday parties and gatherings with friends. No one expects you to turn down all the good stuff that comes along with the season. So instead of attempting to resist those temptations from Thanksgiving to New Years, try some ingredient swaps that can make your desserts, and this holiday season, the best one yet!
Our CEO has recently transitioned to a completely plant-based diet, and becoming vegan is proving to be more popular than ever before. If you or someone on the receiving end of your holiday baking is practicing veganism this season, here are some changes you can make to your recipes:
- Egg > Flax ‘Egg’ (1 tbs ground flax + 3 tbs water, let soak for 5 min) -or- Chia ‘Egg’ (1 tbs chia seeds + 3 tbs water, let soak for 5 min)
- Butter > Coconut Oil, Sunflower Oil, or any other flavorless oil
- Cow Milk > Coconut Milk, Almond Milk, Cashew Milk
Processed Ingredient Swaps
Flour and sugar are other ingredients used frequently in dishes during the season. While these are harder to avoid, especially in baked goods, there are some easy swaps to make your dessert healthy-ish. The goal is to include less processed and bleached sugars and flours. These are swaps that will keep your blood sugar more level and allow your body to digest easier:
- All Purpose Flour > Whole Wheat Flour, Almond Flour, Coconut Flour
- White Sugar & Brown Sugar > Honey, Maple Syrup, Coconut Sugar, Agave
- Milk Chocolate > 70% or Higher Dark Chocolate (check the ingredient label!)
Once the holiday season is over, jump on board with Catered Fit! Our perfectly portioned meals are prepared to your specifications and designed to help you meet your weight goals. We even offer desserts made with some of the swaps mentioned above!
Happy Holidays and happy swapping!
*Please note – not all of these will be even swaps and you may have to adjust other ingredient amounts.